Friday 1 January 2010

My favourite albums of 2009

[First posted on Facebook December 2009]

Some people have said that, because of downloading, the X Factor etc. that the album is dying. I say balls. Like every year there were plenty of good records in 2009 (a very significant year for me with the birth of Juno). On this list the top 15 could be rated as really really good and the top 8 as brilliant. I don’t claim that this is comprehensive in any way; had I heard more stuff released this year I’m sure the Mozzer album would have been in an even more lowly position than it is now. These are simply the albums that I have listened to and enjoyed this year. I’d be interested to hear what people think I’ve missed from the list.


Oh, and just like there are several ‘fifth Beatles’ there are three ‘twenty fifth albums’ missing from this list: I really enjoyed ‘The Singer’ by Teitur but it was released in a previous year; the ‘Dark Was The Night’ compilation was very good but under my strict rules compilations are not allowed. Similarly I had to declare a conflict of interests and leave the room when The Fighting Kites’ record ‘The Vlaam Tapes’ came up for discussion in the meeting that I held with myself. All of these would have occupied a mid-table position had they been allowed.

Here’s the top 24:

24. Years of Refusal by Morrissey

Two cracking singles in ‘…Paris’ and ‘Something is Squeezing My Skull’, a couple of half decent tracks that were on a greatest hits compilation and not much else of quality. Moz has said that following this and the previous two albums he can retire happy. Perhaps he should.

23. Oh My God Charlie Darwin by The Low Anthem

Enjoyable folky Americana. ‘To Ohio’ is one of the warmest songs I’ve heard all year.

22. Slow Attack by Brett Anderson

At last, Brett has made a solo record that die-hard Suede fans like me can stand behind without any shame and with some real pride. Folky and pastoral, some beautiful song (‘The Hunted’, ‘Hymn’, ‘Scarecrows and Lilacs’ ) and nearly an absence of lyrics that make you want to chop your ears off and bury them at sea.

21. It’s Blitz by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Got this record earlier this week so don’t know it that well, but it’s energetic electro pop impresses on the first couple of listens and I get the impression it will be a grower as well as a shower.

20. Kingdom of Rust by The Doves

Tipped by some to ‘do an Elbow’ this year – but The Doves don’t have as much crossover appeal as their Manchester pals. This was an good attempt though, full of good songs and more invention than you might imagine.

19. Tonight by Franz Ferdinand

Seems like it’s all over for bands like FF, but this record would not be a bad way to bow out gracefully. Franz were always more interesting than most of their peers and they are willing to try and innovate on this record even if it doesn’t always come off. When it works, ‘No you girls’ and ‘What She Came For’ for instance, they still sound absolutely vital. The mini album remix ‘Blood’ that came with the record was good as well.

18. Far by Regina Spektor

A collection beautifully sung piano songs pitched somewhere in between Tori Amos and Joanna Newsome. No come back, honestly, it works. ‘Eet’ and ‘Dance Anthem of the 80s’ are particularly good.


17. Wilco by Wilco

Upbeat country rock as you’d expect from Wilco. As best pal Stuart Evers would say, there’s not enough country in it, but it’s still impressive. Homage to George Harrison ‘You Never Know’ is one of the highlights.

16. The Spinning Top by Graham Coxon

Coxon provided a live music highlight of the year with Blur’s Hyde Park show, and quietly released this little gem of sweet songs sung sweetly. First track ‘Look into the light’ is a good ‘un.

15. Sometimes I Wish I Were An Eagle – Bill Callahan

Quite a dark sounding record from the ex-Smog man and perhaps not one to put on at your New Years Eve party, but a special record that highlights what a good singer he is.


14. The Duckworth Lewis Method by The Duckworth Lewis Method

The centre of the venn diagram showing Divine Comedy fans and lovers of cricket might be quite small and would certainly include me, but you only need to like one of those to appreciate this witty, clever and musically diverse concept album about cricket by Neil Hannon and the fella from Pugwash. At the start of this year I never thought I’d write the following sentence: I loved the Noel Cowardesque song ‘Jiggery Pokery’ about Shane Warne’s ball of the century that pokes fun at Mike Gatting’s waistline throughout.

13. Further Complications by Jarvis Cocker

Is it only me and Stuart that like this record? Even Jude Rogers, who I agree with about most matters musical, doesn’t like this one. Well I love it. It has a harder edge and some of the lyrics are a bit unforgiving but surely they’re good things? ‘I Never Said I was Deep’ and ‘Hold Still are amongst his best work. SO THERE!

12. My Maudlin Career by Camera Obscura

Tip-top indie-pop.

11. The Hazards of Love by The Decemberists

There is rather a lot going on in this record, I checked the sleeve notes to see who was playing the kitchen sink. This is high concept stuff, perhaps a little pretentious at times but impressive and enjoyable throughout. Works best as an album rather than as individual songs but ‘The Rakes Song’ is about the best track.

10. Merriweather Post Pavillion by Animal Collective

The title annoyed me and I was disappointed with their previous offering ‘Strawberry Jam’ so I nearly didn’t bother, but I’m glad I did. Like lots of bands at the mo they’ve turned up the Brian Wilson dial to 11 but they get away with it through the quality of the songs. ‘My Girls’ might have been ubiquitous this year but it’s still damn good.


9. Still Night, Still Light by Au Revoir Simone

Old friend Rebecca Bream introduced to these indie popsters and I’ve loved them ever since. This is a great collection of songs. You should listen to ‘Take Me As I Am’, ‘Anywhere You Looked’ and ‘Another Likely Story’ or I’ll be forced to put insects in your breakfast cereal.


8 A Woman a Man Walked By by PJ Harvey and John Parish.

Unhinged brilliance, that is to say: mental. But brilliant. Single ‘Black Hearted Love’ is the closest thing to normal. We should appreciate Polly Harvey much more in this country. Naming a park after her, a postage stamp in her honour and a national Polly Harvey holiday by the end of 2009 would be considered a start.

7. Humbug by Arctic Monkeys.

I wasn’t convinced that working with Josh Homme was a great idea but whilst Humbug is darker and rockier than the first 2 records it’s still got some top tunes. ‘Cornerstone’ is one of my favourite songs of the year and ‘Dance Little Liar’ is a triumph. I agree with the reviewers who said that the next one could be amazing.


6. Trueloves Gutter - Richard Hawley

Despite one of the songs - ‘Open Up Your Door - being used in an ice cream advert this is less commercial, more orchestral than before with some beautiful songs, especially ‘For Your Lover Give Some Time’. Makes last album ‘Lady’s Bridge’ look like a load of old rubbish. Which it was.


5. Dark Days/Light Years by Super Furry Animals

Lots and lots of fun, lots of different musical styles, great songs and the best song title of the decade: ‘The Very Best of Neil Diamond’. We should appreciate SFA much more in this country. Naming a park after them, a postage stamp in their honour and a national Super Furry Animals holiday by the end of 2009 would be considered a start.


4. Noble Beast by Andrew Bird

First record of 2009 that I really liked when the aforementioned Jude played it to me, and I’ve kept going back to it all year. Gentle and folky and extra points for using the word ‘sociopath’ in a pop song in the brilliant ‘Oh No’.

3. The xx by The xx

I’ve come to these a bit late, but as soon as I heard this debut I loved it. Difficult to describe, how about about indie tinged R&B/electronica? Or maybe R&B/electronica tinged indie? Inventive, good lyrically and they are only about twelve years old. Lots of good songs, ‘Islands’ is one of the best.

2. Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear

A real slow burner this one, another that might have enjoyed the benefit of a Beach Boys song or two, but a proper brilliant collection of songs, Two Weeks being an obvious example.

1. Hombre Lobo by Eels

Haven’t really seen this in many end of year lists, seems to have been ignored by everyone except me and Eels-drum-banger-in-chief David Stewart (another old friend) which is a shame because it’s a fantastic collection of blues rock songs and tender ballads. The single ‘The Look You Give That Guy’ is about the best thing I’ve heard all year. Not a barrel of laughs maybe, but certainly a barrel of brilliance.

No comments:

Post a Comment